A Mountian Lion Outside My Window!

Last week during my morning walk I encountered two mountain lion cubs! MP900262844See Encounter With a Mountain Lion.  After chatting with my neighbors about the encounter I found that one neighbor had spotted the big cat in the road about four weeks before.

On hearing this news my father-in-law studied mountain lion signs and tracking.  He told me he had spotted a mountain lion track in the soft soil about 50 feet from our house! WOW!  He’s very observant and often reads natural signs like an open book. He hadn’t known what the track was until I mentioned the big cat, and he put the clues together.

Why would a mountain lion come that close to our house?  Here’s the awful and awfully funny answer my husband and I came up with…

My husband recently purchased a “pig call.” It sounds like a wounded pig.  We have been having a little fun with it in the evenings… My husband would blow the call and then the dogs would join in on the commotion.  It makes for a fun playtime for the dogs!

Well, I guess wild pigs and dogs aren’t the only ones attracted to that call!  Apparently mountain lions are too!  So – I think we will stop giving the mountain lion a call – especially right up to our house!

About Kimberly Guthrie

Kimberly Guthrie loves adventures in the outdoors. National Park Ranger, Outdoor instructor, curriculum writer, teacher and guide at Mount St. Helens’ Seven Wonders Museum are some of her life adventures. Kim continues to write and teach about the outdoors. Currently, she serves as outdoor education consultant for Allaso Ranch near Hawkins, Texas. Kim holds a bachelor of science degree in elementary education from University of Central Arkansas and a masters degree in Curriculum and Instruction from Northern Illinois University.
This entry was posted in Exploring Nature, Texas Adventures, Writer's Ramblings and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A Mountian Lion Outside My Window!

1. Carol Flett says:

You lead an exciting life!
    I just shared this on stumble!

• kimgjones says:

Thanks for sharing this on Stumble Carol! I think God adds the spice to my life! I enjoy looking at the unusual for adventure. Thanks also for commenting on this post! (:

2. Nancy Williams says:

I like your blog Kim. You are an excellent writer. I almost ran over a bobcat tonight on the way home. In fact, it was near your place. I think he was running to your farm.

• kimgjones says:

Thanks Nancy! LOL! I do think it was running to our farm to join the other animals here! I think they have been throwing a wildlife party here lately! (: Thanks for commenting on this post! (:

Kim (:

3. Nita says:

Interesting walk you had, thanks for sharing. Your post is helping encourage me to go for those walks I keep putting off. Doubt I’ll stumble on any lions, or bobcats (Thank You, God) but there are other interesting fun things to see in my neck of the woods. ~Nita

• kimgjones says:

Yes Nita! It was a VERY interesting walk! I’m glad the post encouraged you to take a walk! I’d love to see some pics of your walks! By the way – WOW what a cool website you have! The quilts are awesome! Thanks for the encouragement and for commenting on my blog! (:

Kim